For many places tourism is a seasonal affair. The advantage we have in Queenstown is that most activities can be accessed all year round regardless of the weather. While it’s true that the majority of Queenstown’s winter-visitors are only there for the (admittedly excellent) skiing and snowboarding, there’s still plenty of fun to be had off the slopes.
So what exactly is there to do in and around Queenstown between June and September that doesn’t involve skiing? Plenty, as it turns out! Here are some of our favourite off-piste winter-time activities:
- Snowshoeing – quite literally, hiking in the snow wearing specialized snow-shoes. These are personalized guided tours for small groups that explores the snow-covered wilderness of the back-country. No skiing experience necessary, if you can walk, you can snow-shoe.
- Mountaineering – fancy recreating the Everest experience in the relative comfort and safety of Queenstown’s backyard? Go mountaineering! These guided expeditions range from a single day trip to an epic three day trek. Available at all skill levels and guides are always on hand to ensure a safe and enjoyable journey.
- Snowmobiles – laugh the people slowly trudging up a mountain in snowshoes as you zoom past them in your very own snowmobile. Explore Queenstown’s back-country wilderness travelling on exclusive snowmobile trails. Some of these trails are so remote they are accessible only by helicopter. These are professionally guided tours and limited to individuals or small groups.
- Chairlift Ride – to some, the chairlift ride up a mountain is the best part of the whole skiing experience. So why not simply enjoy the relaxing chairlift ride without all the hassle of carrying bulky ski equipment? Take in the incredible panoramic views of the surrounding countryside from your vantage point in the sky as you slowly ascend the ski-lift. Enjoy a spot of lunch or a cup of warm cocoa at the top of the mountain before descending back down to earth in another chairlift.
- Go Skating – who says you need to brave the elements to enjoy some winter fun? Located in nearby Queenstown Gardens, Queenstown Ice Arena is a world-class indoor skating rink that lets you unleash your inner Tonya Harding in a safe and controlled environment. No need to bring your own gear as the arena has rentals.
And if that’s not enough, you can also go on an outdoor nature hike, bike tour, scenic boat cruise, wine-tasting tour, aerial sightseeing tour plus all the regular parasailing, jetboating, skydiving, bungy jumping, whitewater-rafting insanity Queenstown is famous for. Even if you have no intention of lacing up a pair of ski-boots, there are an endless amount of things to see and do in Queenstown in the winter.
So we here at Absoloot Value Hostel Queenstown look forward to seeing you soon!